We would like to invite you to participate in an online SMA workshop, “COVID-19 and Music Analysis: Impacts, Progression and Prospects”, on Saturday 25 July 2020. We have invited three speakers who are at different stages of their academic career (a recently graduated holder of a PhD, an academic with around 5 years of experience and a more senior academic) to share their thoughts on the current environment which we all live in, as well as covering (but not being limited to) the following points:
- How has COVID-19 pandemic impacted you
- How has the pandemic impacted on the arts? How has it changed musicking, research and teaching?
- How can music practitioners and researchers emerge from the COVID crisis? Is online music the future for music practitioners?
- What is the impact on the recruitment of local as well as international students to postgraduate music programs? How about the impact on funding opportunities, research initiatives and new academic positions?
- The social impacts of virtual conferences/presentations/workshops
This workshop is a free event open to all SMA members. Student (undergraduate and postgraduate) members and early career researchers are strongly encouraged to attend.
An outline of the workshop is attached below for your perusal:
“COVID-19 and Music Analysis: Impacts, Progression and Prospects”
25 July 2020, Zoom
Society for Music Analysis
10:00-10:30 Welcome and introduction from Kenneth Smith (SMA President)
10:15-11:15 Speeches from invited academics to talk about their COVID-19 experiences
- Dr. Sarah Moynihan
- Dr. Chris Tarrant
- Prof. Julian Horton
11:45-13:15 Series of rotating breakout sessions (45mn each) led by the invited academics to further explore these issues and topics. A list of topics and questions will also be provided on the day.
13:45-14:45 Discussion from students’ perspectives
14:45-15:00 Concluding remarks
Further relevant information will be provided upon registration. Please register your interest in attending by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for general registration is 17 July 2020.
With kind regards,
Yvonne Teo and Bozhidar Chapkanov
2019-20 SMA Student Representatives