The Society for Music Analysis seeks to appoint to the post of Critical Forum Editor of its journal Music Analysis. Music Analysis is one of the world’s leading peer-reviewed publications in the fields of music theory and analysis. It welcomes contributions on a wide diversity of topics, including all aspects of music theory, analyses of individual works, and repertoire that spans art music across its history, popular music and world music. Three issues are published annually. The successful candidate will work closely with the editorial team, which includes the Editor, the Assistant Editor, and the copy editor, and also with the Chair of the Board of the journal, the President of the Society for Music Analysis and its trustees. Remuneration for the post is offered at a competitive rate. The post is offered on a 5-year basis.
Expressions of interest should be sent to Dr Kenneth Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should send a CV and covering letter to Dr Rebecca Thumpston at email@example.com. The closing date for receipt of applications is 20 January 2020.
Key responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
Commissioning material for the Critical Forum. This includes:
- being aware of recent / future publications
- commissioning authors to write reviews / review-articles
- liaising with publishers to send material to reviewers
- receiving publications from publishers and deciding whether to commission reviews
- prompting, when necessary, authors to return copy in a timely manner
Dealing with submitted material. Upon receipt of submission, this includes:
- editing text, notes, references, abstract, author biography
- communicating with author over editorial matters such as editorial and peer-reviewing in order to develop critical content
- preparing lists of captions for music examples, figures, illustrations and tables
- formatting materials in preparation for production
- sending materials (including author contact details, © permission) to production team
During production, this includes:
- answering queries from the production team
- answering queries from copy editor
- entering results of discussions with copy editor into journal Stylesheet
- reviewing articles in page-proof
After production, this includes:
- sending copy of review to publisher
- liaising with the publisher, Wiley-Blackwell, during the publication process
- consulting with the Editor over the length and content of issues
- maintaining lines of communication with Production team and Publishing House
- working with the publisher’s representative on any strategic issues
- attending the meetings of the Editorial Board, and reporting to the Board of the journal on an annual basis.
- working with the trustees of the SMA on any strategic matters concerning the relationship between the journal and the Society
The successful candidate will be a mid-career or later-career academic, who possesses:
- A strong research profile in the areas of music theory and analysis.
- Experience of editorial work.
- Knowledge of all aspects of editorial practices in the discipline.
- Knowledge of the disciplinary environment, including a thorough familiarity with current theories and research methods across the discipline.
- Ability to work with an editorial team.
- Ability to work with an academic publisher.
- Knowledge of the academic publishing environment.
- Proven familiarity with the discipline’s context in British academia and in the international environment.