The City Music Analysis Conference (CityMAC 2018), sponsored by the Society for Music Analysis (SMA), will take place on Thursday 5th to Saturday 7th July 2018 at City, University of London. This international conference will feature analysis of world music, but welcomes paper proposals on any aspect of theory or analysis relating to music of any genre and historical period.
Professor Janet Schmalfeldt (Tufts University) and Professor Richard Widdess (SOAS).
Submission deadline: 5th February, 2018. Applicants will be notified by 16th March, 2018.
- Papers (20 minutes maximum, with 10 minutes for discussion)
- Paper sessions (three or four papers, each of 20 minutes maximum, with 10 minutes per paper for discussion)
- Roundtable discussions (up to 6 participants, each giving a short position paper, followed by a general discussion, total running time of 90 or 120 minutes)
- Recitals, lecture-recitals and lectures illustrated by sound diffusions or audio-visual screenings (maximum duration 90 minutes)
- For individual papers: up to 250 words
- For paper sessions: 250-word (maximum) summary and up to 200 words for each session participant
- For roundtable discussions: 250-word (maximum) and up to 150 words for each panel participant
- For recitals, lecture-recitals and lectures illustrated by sound diffusions or audio-visual screenings: 250 word (maximum) summary, plus participant CVs and recordings / scores / other details of works to be included in the event (contact the organiser to discuss)
Further information for applicants
- Only one proposal of each type is permitted per applicant
- Proposals must be sent by email as a MS Word or pdf attachment to CityMAC2018@sma.ac.uk
- Proposals need not be anonymised.
- Student members and individuals without access to institutional funds are eligible to apply for an SMA Travel Bursary to help cover the costs of travel and accommodation. Further details can be found here: https://www.sma.ac.uk/grants/travel/. Please note that the deadline for application for bursaries is 7 June 2018.
- Delegates are also welcome to apply to our Development Fund scheme to cover the cost of attending. For further details, see: https://www.sma.ac.uk/grants/development/. There is no deadline for this fund, but retrospective applications will not be considered.
- All enquiries should be sent to Dr Shay Loya via CityMAC2018@sma.ac.uk.
Dr Esther Cavett (King’s College London), Professor Julian Horton (Durham), Dr Shay Loya (City, Organiser), Professor Danuta Mirka (Southampton), Dr Laudan Nooshin (City), Ian Pace (City), Dr Kenneth Smith (Liverpool). Other committee members TBC.