The Keele Music Analysis Conference (Wednesday 8 to Friday 10 July 2015, Keele University, UK) welcomes proposals for papers on any aspect of theory, analysis and criticism relating to music and musical practices of any genre, style or period.
Proposals in the following categories will be considered:
- Papers (20 minutes maximum, with 10 minutes for discussion)
- Paper sessions (three or four papers, each of 20 minutes maximum, with 10 minutes per paper for discussion)
- Roundtable discussions (up to 6 participants, each giving a short position paper, followed by a general discussion, total running time of 90 or 120 minutes)
- Recitals, lecture-recitals and lectures illustrated by sound diffusions or audio-visual screenings (maximum duration 90 minutes)
Keynote speakers at KeeleMAC:
Professor Amanda Bayley (Bath Spa)
Professor James Hepokoski (Yale)
Professor David Neumeyer (Texas)
The conference will include a plenary roundtable ‘Women and Analysis’ with speakers including Professor Janet Schmalfeldt (Tufts), Dr Laurel Parsons (Victoria, Chair of the Society for Music Theory Committee on the Status of Women) and Professor Amanda Bayley.
The Editorial Board of Music Analysis will be pleased to discuss publication opportunities with speakers and delegates at the conference.
The conference is convened by Dr Nicholas Reyland (Keele University).
Proposal Instructions / Guidelines
Abstracts and proposals should be prepared as follows:
- For individual papers: up to 250 words
- For paper sessions: 250-word (maximum) summary and up to 200 words for each session participant
- For roundtable discussions: 250-word (maximum) and up to 150 words for each panel participant
- For recitals, lecture-recitals and lectures illustrated by sound diffusions or audio-visual screenings: 250 word (maximum) summary, plus participant CVs and recordings / scores / other details of works to be included in the event (contact organiser to discuss)
Further information for applicants:
- Only one proposal of each type is permitted per applicant
- Proposals should not substantially duplicate presentations being given at conferences or other events proximate in time or place to KeeleMAC
- All proposals must be sent by email as a MS Word or pdf attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Proposals need not be anonymised
Professor William Drabkin, Professor Julian Horton, Dr Anne Hyland, Professor Barbara Kelly, Dr Nicholas Reyland (Chair), Dr Kenneth Smith, Dr Edward Venn, Dr Alastair Williams
DEADLINE FOR PROPOSAL SUBMISSION: 5 JANUARY 2015
Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their proposal(s) by 9 February 2015